My Waikiki Stay On A Budget!

My Stay in Waikiki on a Budget! 
I took this in May 2009 Waikiki Beach

I have Stayed at Park Shore Waikiki 2 times now.  Once in May 2009 and once in November 2011.  I have been to Waikiki and Oahu one more time before these two and stayed on the other end of Waikiki at The Outrigger Reef on the Beach.  That hotel sits directly on the beach and is the second to last on the sand before it ends.  The last Hotel next to it is a timeshare hotel (unsure of name).
I did a ton of research online both times and found some great information.  I am inspired by all that research and how it helped me to write this in hopes to help others looking for information.  I live in Massachusetts so Hawaii is a BIG trip for many reasons.  The biggest is the difficulty getting there so.. I aways want to make sure I do my research and educate myself before I go.  There is a lot of good information out there and I would love to share my personal point of view.  Make sure you click on my links! They will bring you to other helpful sites and pictures.

Oahu.  I am sure as myself you chose Oahu for its choices!  Oahu has so much to offer from dinning to nightlife to secluded beaches.  You can really have it all on this one island.

My Tips to The Park Shore Waikiki
"Waikiki East" OAHU and Area

Location:  I love the Waikiki East location for saving money!  Looking at a map, Queen Kapiolani Park down toward Center Waikiki. The West End has Really built up since 2009 but I would certainly not look down on it!  My opinion comes from a frugal saving money point of view.  Please keep that in mind. All of the Hotels are across the street from the beach on the East End.  It is a 1 lane in each direction street.  But unlike the West end there are no hotels across the street blocking the view.  So you can pay less by being across the street from the beach and still have the rocking ocean view property.

Park Shore Waikiki and Queen Kapiolani Hotel are both on Kapahulu Ave.  Park Shore is across the street from the beach on the corner of the main Kalakahaua Ave where as Queen Kapiolani Hotel is behind it.  These hotels are across Kapahulu Ave from Kapiolani Park and the HNL Zoo and both have options for a stunning unobstructed Diamond Head View - One like no other hotel could offer.  These are not what I would consider luxury hotels.  No no no.  But Park Shore Waikiki in my opinion was clean and still nice.  I am not on Oahu to be in the room.
I believe it maybe rates 2 of 5 stars. I would give it a solid 3 Stars.

Katie's Tip:  You can Hear the Animals at night if you are facing Diamond Head and the Zoo!
Katie's Tip:  Many Hotels were built in the 40's so rooms are small even at high end hotels. Many do not come with a bath tub shower only and can be very small to the American modern standard.

I spent some time at the Hula's Gay Bar in Queen Kapiolani Hotel and it was fun as anything. (Even though I am not gay)  I did not stay at that hotel so I do not have a real review on much else there.

Park Shore has a Roof Top pool on floor 5 and as of 2011 Lulu's Resaurant and Bar does have a waitress that will serve you cocktails and food.  They also did not mind if I BYOB and snacks plastic of coarse no glass!

Make sure you look into the local parade schedules.  Both years a parade went by. One year it was a Spanish Festival another it was a Motor Cycle Rally!  Really cool to see. Also a Road Race Ran by one Day.  Another Reason to hang at the Hotel and People Watch I guess!

Katie's tips:  I like to pack a cooler and drive to Lanikai Beach. Subway or even sandwiches for sale at ABC Store are good.  The ABC Store is great!

Parking: Now I speak from personal experience so don't hold me accountable to this but each time I have stayed here parking was a breeze!  along the fence of the Honolulu Zoo and toward Diamond Head heading away from Waikiki there was plenty of parking.  Some times of the day we would be a little further but a 5 minute walk at most.  Valet is expensive and a must most anywhere on Waikiki but not this area (again personal opinion)  The hotel does offer Valet if needed but..  Never even thought of it!

Beach Cams:  There are live cameras all over the island.  From traffic cams to beach cams. My two favorites are the Duke Statue  and the pier across from Park Shore.
See here for Cameras of Oahu
I use to look at these anticipating time change and beautiful weather awaiting my trip

East Coast Bar Lulu's Waikiki:  Now I know not everyone will care about this but.. it is nice to feel a little at home.  Lulu's is located in the Park Shore Waikiki.  They have the friendliest staff! Last I heard a guy from NH ran Lulu's.  NY fans along with Boston alike (yea I know right) Shuffle board table along with an open air venue with an ocean view!   Mondays use to be industry night with live music! So much fun!

Walkable:  This is a great walkable location!  Starbucks below as well as an ABC Store.  I liked to grab a bottle of wine and a 6 pack for my lanai!  Queens Beach is across the Street for bigger waves as well as the calm protected beach by walls etc.. for kids right there!  They say Sunset on the Beach movie nights are on Queens Beach but honestly I have never seen one set up either time there or a real calendar of movies online?  I wish they did do that still. Seems like fun!  Check the link yourself.

There is a Canal that runs the back side of Waikiki.  I loved walking along it in the mornings to check out another side of the area.  Inside Tip:  you must check out the fish.  Seriously freaky.  Googly Eyes!  I must take a picture my next trip!  I still talk about it to this day.

Waikiki is large but easily to walk anywhere!  Wear comfy shoes or flip flops.  Hawaii is not a high heel kind of a place although I always bring a pair I NEVER wear them.  ..and when I do finally spot a young girl wearing them all dolled up a laugh!  (she is always limping)

Me on the right!   Duke Statue Nov 2011




Other Waikiki things to See and Do

International Market Place:  Sadly has Closed :(

Sheraton on the Beach is a must for a night cocktail.  Best live music around.  I would even recommend staying here with a larger budget!

Free Hula Show: on Tuesdays, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday

Rotating Restaurant:  Top of Waikiki I honestly don't remember the food being a wow.  But you can certainly enjoy a cocktail or desert!

Waikiki Beach Walk: Shops Restaurants a must!

Catamaran Ride:  Nahokuii Catamaran

Rent A Surf Board:  Below the Park Shore is a Surf Board Rental Shop $20 for 1/2 day (don't quote me) for a surf board!  Paddle boarding available.

Check out Vacation Link more Oahu and Vacation Posts


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)