Things to Do Around Oahu on a Budget

Things To Do Around Oahu On  A Budget And More..


I've been fortunate enough to take the 13 hour flight (with layover) to the beautiful Island of Oahu 3 times now. A Boston native, I am exited to bring my family their for first visit this year!   This will be my first trip with children so it will be a huge change for me. My step children are twin 14 year olds and an 11 year old.  They are my inspiration for these posts as they have brought new excitement for travel to my life!  I've looked the internet far and wide for teen and tween things to do.   In the end I'm sure sun, beach and some shopping will do but as an over planner and a slight obsession with coupon ing and saving money when I can, I have decided to share my knowledge and findings here.  I hope this helps even just 1 person, family or couple in their planning to the beautiful island of Oahu!  

Please look for links as they are seeming to blend 

First a little more about me.   As I said I've been to Oahu 3 times.   My next trip will be to Aulani.  The Disney Resort.  My husband and I are Vacation Club Members.  We have both worked in the travel industry for many years (seperate times) This is my first time staying at Aulani or off the Waikiki Beach area.   I have stayed at The Outrigger Reef on the Beach once and Park Shore Waikiki twice. 

Click here for why staying at The Park Shore Kapolani or surrounding area.


So here is my list of things to do on Oahu free or cheap.  This is my perspective.  I do feel well rounded in my interests but I hope this helps.  I've added links where I can.  I may rant extra about each but I feel it helps as I like to be aware of these things myself.  Sorry if it's tedious.  Make sure you click on the links within this post!  

Before I start..  First, I want to say that to do my list you must have a rental car!   You chose Oahu for what it has to offer right? and if you are traveling even 1/2 as far as I do you don't want to just sit on the same crowded beach. Get out and see the island!!  I am very independent.  I rather not wait on a bus or taxi to cart me around let alone overpay the hotel or shuttle service.   I like to fly by the seat of my pants (to an extent) on vacation and soak up the fun things we can find on our own!  Anyway I highly recommend a car.  I have rented a jeep each time but all you really need is a compact car.   
Katie's Tip: They pressure huge for insurance when renting your car and make you feel like you NEED the insurance.  Check with you insurance agent at home before leaving.  The cost comes out to double if you purchase it.  I have never needed it but got dooped twice!  Be firm and just say no thank you.  

List of Budget Things To Do On Oahu


Hula show Waikiki: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sundays from 6:30-7:30pm Get there early for a good seat in the sand.  This is a Free Show.  I feel it is more authentic than even the Luau's in ways!  A don't miss! 

Fireworks Friday nights:  From Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki.  7:45pm start time Every Friday Night

Pearl Harbor: Assuming you can drive yourself there Pearl Harbor is cheap.  I do recommend a headset $6 a set last I was there in November 2011. I have also heard you can make reservations online.  I highly recommend this.  I like to go right when it opens and usually the first full day I am on the island.  It is a sobering experience and I am always happy I went straight away.   They have completely renovated the site since my first trip to the island in 2006 and is a beautiful wanter front walk about with stories from survivors etc.  You need to watch a movie before boarding a boat that takes you out to the actual Arizona memorial. 

me in 2009 at Pearl Harbor - The Arizona is behind my head






Swap Meet: Located at the famous Aloha Stadium this is a huge event!  This swap meet surrounds the whole stadium with two rows of souvenirs stands to walk between.  Prices are always negotiable and you won't beat the prices anywhere.   It is across fromPearl Harbor so I like to go directly after my visit for convenience and time saving.  

Shrimp Truck Giovanni's: I have eaten at a few shrimp shacks on the road and the North Shore.  This is by far my favorite.
I enjoyed Giovanni's  the best

Check out Turtle Bay Resort
Many T.V. Shows and Movies have been filmed at this resort including: Lost, The Hunger Games - Catching Fire, Blue Crush and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.   All beaches in Hawaii are public so you are welcome to use the beach.  I enjoy the brunch Served here (not cheap but a treat)  See Pics From TA Here

A Stop into Turtle bay in 2011 Staff was super friendly








Lanikai Beach: This is the beach you came to Hawaii to see!  Pack a picnic and spend the day or two.  There are Kayak rentals and you can paddle out to the 3 islands out there. See TA pics here. Parking is on side streets and there are no bathrooms.  Kailua Beach next door does have public bathrooms and a bit of parking. 
Katie's Tip:  Locals pull up with music and kegs on Satudays' to the the islands by boat!  I stumbled upon it in a kayak one year and it was an amazing and fun day!   

Halona Blow Hole: natural blow hole
Katie's tip: in the winter months look for Humpback whales!

Bydo in temple: $5 per person this is nestled in a cemetery.  Worth the stop.  No longer a working temple you can still check out the huge Budda, feed the koi fish, ring the huge gong bell for a long healthy life or sign the signature tree.  
Katie's tip:  this temple was featured in the movie Pearl Harbor and LOST

An under rated Stop at the By-Do In temple!  2009


Dole plantation:  a definite tourist trap and I love it :) The Dole plantation is the home of Dole Whip my favorite ice cream!  When you walk in it is a huge store SELLING all souvoniers beware. In the back of the store area you can search demonstrations on how to cut a pineapple.  Also in the back there is an ice cream parlor. I believe they sell food as well. Outside there are tables for sitting, a huge pineapple maze and a mini open air train called The Pineapple Express that will take you on a tour around the plantation.  
I remember th  first time I saw.  Pineapple plant! I was surprised how it looked.

On the $10 trim ride around Plantation 2009.  Not a must but was fun on our cloudy day ! 


Hanauma bay:  $7.50 pp plus $1 to park this is the best snorkeling on the island.   You can bring your own snorkel or rent.    Make sure you pack lunch and BYO drinks.  No glass. 
Katie's tip: Closed on Tuesdays. 

Diamond Head hike:  A great hike.  Any age could do this really but it does have many stairs followed by a small latter to get to the top.  It takes about 45 minutes but the view from the top (and along the way) is amazing!  

Stopping for a pic in May 2009 on the way up Diamond Head Crater



North shore:  The north shore is such a surfer town. So laid back. 
What to do there?  Shop at the boutiques, eat shaved ice and check out the beaches.  There are a couple restaurants but from what I experienced you pay for the view.  The food  is so so.  North Shore interactive map 

Rainbow Drive Inn:  Just outside of Waikiki this Little Drive-in does not look like much but is a gem!   When I was there in 2011 it was closed due to renovations and I was VERY disappointed.  I can not wait to stop here with  my family this year!   Local flavors.  I prefer breakfast.  

Katie's tip: Ala Wai Canal fish:  Walk back from Waikiki to the canal that runs the back side. Take a look at the crazy fish that live in the canal!   Crazy creepy.     A Must see. 

BYOB Restaurants:   The Fat Greek,  Sabrina's Restaurant

Buddhist Temples: I am unsure of the religious rules of visiting Temples or trespassing but I was able to walk through a couple and they are amazing to view


Things to Do On Oahu That Will Cost Money

Now because I can't skip over it here is my personal list of things to do on Oahu that will cost you but worth it.  In my opinion.  

Kahua Ranch:  I recommend a day trip!  ATV, Horseback riding, Jeep Jungle Tour, and Movie Tour of many movies filmed at this ranch.  50 First Dates, Jurassic Park, LOST (tv show) to name a couple.  My favorite excursion isa to their private beach and catamaran!  This is a family owned ranch.  The owner even picked us up from the private beach!  Amazing for such a successful man! 

The Pic at the top was taken at The Private Beach 

A Luau:  I have been to both Paradise Cove and Germaine's Laua  I enjoyed both!  Now for me these are a bug Tourist Trap.  Do not go expecting less than a large crowd all ages all taking souvenir pictures!  Both place gives you one for money of corse. If you are taking a bus expect silly games.   Enjoy it!  You are on vacation and besides you can't go to Hawaii without attending a Luau! I will be returning to Paradise Cove this Year but to be honest it is because it is in walking distance to my hotel.  I personally enjoyed my experience at Germaine's (years apart so keep in mind employees, schedules ect... change)  


Dukes Waikiki:  This is a beach from American Restaurant located mack in the middle of Waikiki Beach!   Located inside the Outrigger it is a great Lunch, Brunch or Dinner.  
Katie's Tip:  Many bars and restaurants have a happy hour with specials.  Being from the east coast my body tells me I'm hungry then!  Money Saver!

Deep Sea Fishing: I am not going to add any links as the trip I took I would not remember the company.  Hawaii has some of the greatest fishing in the world.  If you are at all interested in deep sea fishing why not take a day.  
Katie's Tip: Some companies will stay close to the shore for those not interested in being deep at sea.  

Top of Waikiki Rotating Restaurant:  This stratusphere looking restaurant sits high above Waikiki and YES!  Rotates around in a circle.  ..and what a view it is!  

Honolulu Zoo:  I was Impressed with how large and elaborate this zoo actually was!  They have a Kimono Dragon! 

Nahokuii Catamaran Waikiki: For $30 you can get a 45 min catamaran ride with all the drinks you want!   I recommend Sunset!   
Katie's Tip:  Outrigger Reef offers their own Catamaran Ride to the public on what they claim to be the fasted catamaran on the island.  Ive done both.  Nahokuii is relaxing Outrigger is Adventurist!  

Waikiki Clubs Late Night:  Kuhio Ave Running Paralel to the main Kalakaua Ave has many night spots and clubs.  You can party your buns off until 5am!  
Katie's Tip:  I have heard that some of the most beautiful woman you will see in your life are street walkers here.  ..and are men.  

Things I Would Not Do Again

Queens Palace:  I spent a a day down town checking out the Queens Palace.  Although educational I will not be bringing my step kids there.  
Katie's Tip:  If you are interested look into when the Queens Band Plays as they preform for free weekly on the lawn.

Aloha Tower:  It is so easy to pull over to the clock tows especially if there is no cruise ship pulled up.  That is just what this is .  A cruise port!  So touristy.  No Deals here.  The mall is across the street.  
   
Magic Show:  Tourist Trap and was a waist.  I suppose if you had young ones that are getting bored but I will not be taking my step kids.  


Katie's Favorite Links and Videos


101 free things.to do on Oahu:  Always my go to!   





Sunset on the Beach:  I have never seen a schedule here or a movie set up any visit but I always look


I plan to add information as I learn it so please save my page and come back!   Hope this is helpful to someone.  :)Please feel free to add information or comments below!  


Please check My Vacation Link for more Posts of Oahu and other Vacations!

Do You like what you see?  Click here to Pay It Forward

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)